Microsoft Dynamics GP version 18.5 marks the final release of the software that includes major new features. Following this release, Dynamics GP will only receive routine maintenance, including security and regulatory updates, with no new features being released. Microsoft is now focusing on its investments—primarily on Microsoft D365 Business Central. To encourage Dynamics GP users to migrate to Business Central, Microsoft is launching a promotion called Bridge to Cloud 2, which began in January 2023, enabling GP customers to obtain 40% discounted licenses to Business Central for three years.
At MIBAR, we advise our Microsoft Dynamics GP customers to stay up to date on the modern lifecycle and upgrade to the most recent version. We offer enhancement services to help our GP customers remain compliant, and we have developed tools to help them transition to cloud-based financial ERP solutions like Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central or switch to another solution like NetSuite or Acumatica. The Bridge to Cloud 2 promotion provides an opportunity for GP users to transition to Business Central and pair it with other migration packages.
What is Dynamics GP?
Microsoft Dynamics GP, a popular enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, is reaching its end of life. This means that after the final major update (version 18.5), GP will only receive routine maintenance.
As a GP user, you have a few options. First, you can continue to use the software without upgrading and receive the routine maintenance updates. However, this may put you at risk of security breaches or compliance issues, as there will be no new features or bug fixes.
Second, you can upgrade to version 18.5 and continue to receive routine maintenance updates. This will ensure that you have the latest features and that your system is up to date.
You could also make the transition to D365 Business Central. This cloud-based ERP solution offers more features and more flexibility than GP and is designed to help businesses grow and evolve. With the Bridge to Cloud 2 promotion, GP users benefit from discounted licenses to Business Central for three years, making the transition more affordable.
If you choose to transition to D365 Business Central, it’s important to work with a knowledgeable partner who can guide you through the process. The right team will offer migration packages to help you transition smoothly to Business Central and offer services that help you remain compliant and up to date with the latest features and updates.
Your Options When Choosing a Dynamics GP Replacement
Dynamics GP is an ERP system developed by Microsoft that provides financial management, supply chain management, and project management features. On paper, this sounds great, but given that it’s near the end of its life, it’s time for your team to explore alternate options if you’re currently using this system.
Here are a few options you should put on your white board during discussions with stakeholders:
Acumatica is a cloud-based ERP system that offers features for everything Dynamics GP does and more. This solution offers a wide range of features to help businesses manage their operations. Here are a few key features of this platform:
- Financial Management. Acumatica provides a complete suite of financial management tools, including general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, cash management, and fixed assets. The system supports multi-currency transactions and offers advanced financial reporting capabilities.
- Distribution Management. Acumatica offers robust features for managing distribution operations, including inventory management, order management, purchasing, and sales. Management. The system can help you optimize your supply chain and improve your order fulfillment processes.
- Project Accounting. Acumatica includes powerful project accounting features that allow you to track project costs, manage budgets, and monitor profitability. The system offers advanced project management capabilities and can help you streamline your workflows.
- Acumatica includes built-in customer relationship management (CRM) functionality that allows you to track leads, opportunities, and customer interactions. The system can help you improve your sales processes and provide better customer service.
- Acumatica offers integration with a wide range of third-party systems, including popular CRM, eCommerce, and payment processing systems. The platform also includes an open API that allows you to build custom integrations.
- User-Friendly. Acumatica has a modern, intuitive user interface that makes it easy for users to navigate and use the system. This solution is also highly customizable, allowing you to tailor it to your specific business needs.
- Acumatica is designed to be highly scalable, allowing it to grow with your business. The platform can support an unlimited number of users and can be customized to meet the needs of businesses of all sizes.
NetSuite, similar to Acumatica, offers a wide range of features that benefit financial and inventory management processes. When comparing NetSuite to Dynamics GP, here are some things you might want to think about:
- Cloud-Based. NetSuite is a cloud-based ERP system, while Dynamics GP is an on-premise system. If you prefer the flexibility and accessibility of a cloud-based system, NetSuite might be a better fit.
- More Comprehensive. NetSuite offers a broader range of features than Dynamics GP. For example, NetSuite include features for CRM, eCommerce, and professional services automation, which Dynamics GP doesn’t have. NetSuite also includes a range of built-in analytics and reporting tools to help you gain insights into your business operations.
- Better Scalability. NetSuite is designed to be highly scale and can grow with your business. Dynamics GP may be more limited in terms of scalability, particularly if you have complex business processes or a large number of users.
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership. Depending on your business needs, NetSuite may be more cost-effective than Dynamics GP over the long term. This is because, as a cloud-based system, NetSuite typically doesn’t require as much hardware or IT support as on-premise systems like Dynamics GP.
- Better Support and Updates. NetSuite offers ongoing software updates and support as part of its subscription model. This means you always have access to the latest features and bug fixes and can get help from NetSuite’s support team when you need it. With Dynamics GP, you may need to pay for software upgrades and support separately.
Are You Ready to Replace Dynamics GP? Don’t Wait Any Longer
If you’re considering alternatives to Dynamics GP, you might want to look into cloud-based systems like Acumatica and NetSuite. These platforms offer more modern technology, greater scalability, and more comprehensive features than Dynamics GP and Business Central. Ultimately, the best ERP system for your business will depend on your specific needs and goals, so it’s important to evaluate different options carefully.
As a company who has worked with businesses throughout the United States to help users make the most out of Dynamics GP, the MIBAR team is ready and able to help you on your move away from the platform—providing a secure, efficient, and seamless transition to a future-proof cloud product. Schedule a free consultation to explore your options today.
Additional Dynamics GP Replacement/Migration Resources
Why Companies Using Dynamics GP Need True Cloud ERP
A Cloud Alternative for Microsoft Dynamics GP Users
Dynamics GP to the Cloud: Understanding the Early Steps in Your Move